At Ohio’s Hospice, we have a program designed to specifically care for you or your loved one’s cardiac disease. We continue to maintain best practices and collaborate with your specialist to support your symptoms, based on your disease progression and individual goals.
Focused CareTM is a specialized program available from our care team. It addresses the disease-specific needs of our patients.
Working with your medical providers, our multidisciplinary team closely monitors your status and quickly responds to adverse symptoms as they occur.
The goals of Focused Care include:
- Provide relief from symptom burden.
- Design a plan of care that is tailored to you in collaboration with your or your loved one’s medical team.
- Improve quality of life with expert symptom management.
- Avoid unnecessary hospitalizations and emergency room visits.
Focused Care services are provided as part of the Medicare hospice benefit at no additional cost to you.
Cardiac Focused Care Benefits
In addition to benefits of hospice care, our Cardiac Focused Care provides:
- Access to a Cardiac Focused Care nurse.
- Individualized support for patients and their families when facing advanced chronic health concerns.
- Expert symptom management to meet the unique needs of patients.
- Accurate and timely information reported to a patient’s medical provider.
- Admission to one of our Hospice Houses to help manage uncontrolled symptoms.
- Visits from our skilled respiratory therapists to address respiratory needs and concerns.
- Ability to support established treatments such as palliative cardiac inotropes and medications.
Your local Ohio’s Hospice care team works with medical facilities, long-term care providers, and physician offices to provide the best level of care for each patient.
Cardiac Focused Care Services
The Focused Care team provides developed educational resources to assist our clinical staff with direct patient care in alignment with best clinical practice and individualized care, based on your or your loved one’s quality of life goals.
We have specialized nurses in cardiac care who serve you or your loved one. They collaborate with community providers and our interdisciplinary care team to enhance patient care outcomes and improve symptom management.
We offer the following:
- Focused Care consults for clinical review
- Joint patient visits
- Community physician collaboration for continuity of care
Complex Medical Therapy Review Meetings
Our care team also holds Complex Medical Therapy review meetings twice a month to review the cases of patients receiving cardiac infusions or who have complex cardiac devices. Our experts discuss patient tolerance, disease progression, risk/benefit review, and patient goals to support continuation of therapy.
We have full time respiratory therapists across the state serving our patients. They are available for consultation for any respiratory challenges and assist with the respiratory needs of our patients who have heart failure.
Advanced Cardiac Care Program
Our Focused Care team has worked directly with the National Partnership for Healthcare and Hospice Innovation (NPHI), in collaboration with the American Heart Association (AHA), to provide the Advanced Cardiac Care Program Patient and Caregiver Handbook.
These relationships allow us to interface with other hospice and palliative care programs on a national level to promote best-practices, consistency in care, and increased access to hospice and palliative care for these populations.