When a loved one has been diagnosed with a life-limiting illness or injury, reliable and far-reaching transportation services can make a big difference in their quality of life. To better meet the needs of our patients, we are rolling out our own mobile care unit and transportation services.
Through our mobile care unit and transportation services, we will be able to provide transport for our patients from the hospital to one of our hospice inpatient care centers, from the inpatient care center to a patient’s home, and from a patient’s home to a nursing facility.
In the past, we have relied on independent ambulette and mobile care service providers to transport our patients. However, across the nation, local emergency medical services (EMS) operations have found it increasingly difficult to staff ambulances.
- 60% of Ohio’s EMS agencies have open positions.
- The average wait time for an ambulance is 20 minutes.
- Click here to read a story about how staffing issues are affecting EMS services in Coshocton County, Ohio.
This has resulted in excessive wait times for both hospice patients and patients facing potentially life-threatening situations. Our hospice patients were experiencing long wait times because ambulance crews were being called to other non-hospice cases.
Transportation Services Make an Impact
As our crews get rolling, we have seen firsthand how transportation services make a difference in the quality of life for our patients.
- Click here to read a story about one of our patients at a nursing facility who is transported to her doctor’s appointments in the mobile care unit. On the way back from her appointments, our mobile care unit stops to get her a Frosty at Wendy’s.
- Click here to read a story about how our mobile care unit brought joy to a patient by transporting him to a football game at his alma mater.
Innovative Care Solutions, a part of Ohio’s Hospice, is hiring and training staff to provide much needed patient transport services to our hospice and palliative care patients.
- Having our own mobile care unit fleet means that we can provide transport to our patients 12 hours per day, 7 days per week.
- We save an average of $80 per trip compared with rates that we paid to other ambulance services.
As part of our mission, we’re committed to improving the quality of life for our patients through our mobile care unit and transportation services.
Grateful for Community Support
Community support helps us to provide several programs, including grief counseling, complementary therapies, uninsured care, Veteran programs, and now our mobile care unit and transportation services. We’re grateful to members of the communities we serve throughout Ohio for their support of our mission.
If you would like to support our mission by helping us go the extra mile to improve the quality of life for our patients through our mobile care unit and transportation services, please click here.